Sunday, October 19, 2008

Good times

Friday night I just crashed and burned. I went to bed early, didn't go to martial arts, didn't go out. But it was good to get some rest.
Saturday I didn't get up nearly as early as I had planned, but I did manage to get to Seoul and meet up with a friend of mine and my co-workers in Kybo. We picked out two books to study grammar (starting Monday) and then went to dinner at the bulgogi place I went to with Kristen Tom and Todd. The food was even better at night. We had some great kim'chi, a mushroom stew, and of course bulgogi. Then we went to Insadong, the old quarter of Seoul. I bought some cool earrings from a jewelery artist? I guess that is what to call him. I talked to him a bit, and I definitely want to go back to the area for shopping! I found the lamps I want (right now I only have the overhead florescent lights and they are way to bright most evenings) and some other things to make the apartment beautiful.

We then went to a beautiful little coffee shop/tea house, but they didn't quite get the coffee part, and put caramel on my mocha. It still tasted good, so no complaints.

Later that night my friend wanted to find the "boys" town, and he didn't want to go alone, so we went in search of "boys" clubs. We found two, after getting lost twice. They were in a back alley, and one was really nice, with flowers on the walls and these beautiful flower lamps. It was quiet and cozy, but I think I scared a few of the customers off. We then asked about the other place my friend wanted to go to. The bartender was very surprised. He kept looking at me, and then looking at my friend. I think it confused him a bit. We were going to have one more drink, but we decided not to because we didn't want to scare anyone else off.

The next place was a bit busier, and the bartender spoke English. The bartender thought we didn't know what kind of place it was, but then I explained I was just a friend. We had some Junebugs, a sweet drink with Midori, and hung out for a few hours. The place wasn't hopping but it was busy enough. I think my friend will be back there soon.

I didn't get home until four a.m. The bars here don't close at 2, like in the States, they stay open until the last customer leaves. This was the second time I stayed way way past my bedtime. I woke up again at 2 pm. I met up with Todd and we went to the bedding shop, I had to call the tourist translation line (they have that now!) and was able to get the bedding I wanted special order. My apartment is going to be so cool. We also bought some more plants, and Todd laughed at me, but I love my mini-jungle so I don't care.
And so it goes.

No comments: