Wednesday, October 8, 2008

quite ugly one morning

Sigh.
It just gets worse. Monday I brought the digital voice recorder to work. I let my boss know I had it because I didn't want to be accused of going behind her back. I just wanted to record my classes to prove that I am a good teacher. Her accusations are both unfounded and to be honest a bit over the top. She is still complaining that I don't follow RT procedures, and when I ask for an example she still gives the one time a month and a half ago where I forgot a journal prompt.

So I thought I would record my classes and have someone at HQ listen and give me feedback.
She was so angry it wasn't funny. I think her anger at me is all out of proportion to what is going on. Steve the New Yorker's classes are so out of control they spill out of the classroom and I can hear the kids shouting from my classroom, and honey drips from my bosses mouth when she talks to him. It isn't really his fault because he doesn't have any teaching experience. She should be guiding him. Instead she is harping on me.
But. that is not the ugly.

Tuesday the big boss called me in. He had one of the other teachers translate for me. He said he understood, he knows about my boss's lack of communication skill and he assured me she won't fire me. He then told me because I am older and more experienced than the other teachers it was more important for me to follow my boss. I agreed, and gave some concrete examples of how I really really try. The end result, I had to apologize to my boss.
So.
I went in front of everyone, bowed to her, and said "I'm sorry" -- She said "Is it sincere?"
She used her snottiest teacher voice. I was so angry. I couldn't believe she would throw my apology back at me like that.

But this is the woman who said "Your wine isn't high quality" when Steve the New Yorker brought some to her house warming.

But I swallowed my pride and said yes, and even invited her for coffee afterwards. I still don't trust her at all. I'd quit this campus but I really like the other teachers, I like the program I work with, and I like the big boss.

The bright spot, I can still work at HQ on the books I'm revising, but I shouldn't talk to anyone there about our campus. And all the tests and evaluations are done, and my kids did really well. I'm so happy with them.

No comments: