Monday, September 15, 2008

Chusok

I just spent a wonderful holiday.
Chusok is very much like our Thanksgiving.
Saturday I had to work in the head office in Seoul. I got to re-write a test and the teacher's guide for one book. I really liked working with Sunny and I talked to her a bit about my problems at work. She said "no problem, it will be easy to find another Reading Town." The only problem is that I really love my students and my neighborhood.

After work, I met up with Kristen from my old neighborhood in KC, then got the last KTX ticket to Deagu. (I am truly one of the luckiest people in the world) Kristen and I had a smoothie, talked about our jobs, then made plans for the dinner next week. I got on the train, and one of the other passengers gave me a coffee. She had the cutest baby. He kept laughing at me, so I couldn't help but laugh for most of the ride.

When I got to Deagu Jin Ju picked me up, and we all piled into the car. She had her nephews with her. I really like her family a lot. I should have gone to bed, but we stayed up and talked. Then Sunday morning we had breakfast with her in-laws, and went to her church. I got to meet her older brother who lives in Seoul, and her sister in-law. They were both very cool people.
After church we went to eat lunch, then took a nap. I couldn't sleep we watched CSI on TV.
Then we went to JinJu's mother's house. We ate some more, and played a game called yute. Yute is a game with four sticks, each one has a round side and a flat side. You throw the sticks and the goal is to get all four sticks to land with the flat side up. That is Yute. If you only get one flat side up it is do, two is gae (dog) and three is girl. I gotYute four times. I am champion. If you lose you have to pay 1,000 won (about one dollar). The winnings were used to buy pizza.

By Monday I was seriously relaxed and happy. We went shopping downtown, and then I took the bus home. JinJu packed some serious food for me, kim'chi (her mother's is the best!) fish, soup. I don't know what to do with it all.
Now I have to go back to work today, but it is some of my favorite students so that is good.
And so it goes.

No comments: