Monday, July 21, 2008

Buzz Buzz Buzz

Sunday it rained again. I said, "rain rain go away" and the rain said "ha"
Kristen came by and I wanted to show her around my neighborhood, but we only stopped at a fast food place and had bulgoi rice (a sweet beef dish that was a welcome respite from all the spices I've been eating) The rain put an end to all my grandiose plans. So we just went to my apartment and drank coffee and talked. After she left, the mosquitoes came by - they weren't nearly as welcome as a friend. I didn't sleep that well.

This morning the sun came out and I felt a bit better. I took my usual walk along the river, although it is actually a slow moving stream. The grass almost made a bridge across the middle, and two cranes were bobbing and bowing to us pedestrians. One took off, and found grace in the moments of flight. The dragonflies continued their maneuvers, and the flopsy yellow flowers were bowed down from the rain. The lilies and hibiscus held up well however.

At work I finished the main draft for the moms class, and let my co-workers look at it for suggestions. Steve the New Yorker had quite a few good ones, and I hope by tomorrow I'll be done with it and can work on the story time. My students are starting to speak more in class, a mixed blessing, as they don't always want to stay on the class script. The serious scholars even smiled today.

Today is the start of the hottest days of summer, despite the cool breeze that came through the window. My school celebrated with SamGeTang, a chicken and rice soup that has a lot of interesting herbs in it. The chestnuts and ginkgo really were quite tasty and my only regret was that it was way too much food.
And so it goes.

No comments: