Thursday, July 10, 2008

An interesting day

I guess "interesting day" goes without saying when you live in Korea. But today was special. I woke up again at 5:30 - a truly ungodly hour. I really need to get a shade for my window. I decided to take a walk, and found a lovely area by a stream that was almost but not quite big enough to be a river. I enjoyed my walk in the early morning, there were yellow floppsy flowers all along the bank, and some of my favorite purple trumpet flowers too. I did feel a bit like a drudge though, because in Korea, you dress up even if you are just exercising. All the older women who were walking for exercise in the area wore cute little exercise outfits, a sun shade visor and white gloves. I just wore a t-shirt and pj bottoms. The walk still felt good. I went home, took a shower and then read a book to wait for 11am because I still don't know how to turn on the tv. I had to go to school early, because today we went to the immigration office to get our Alien Registration cards. We thought we had everything; photos, application, visa, transcripts. But. We didn't have our health check. The manager thought that we didn't need it for the ARC and we could do it later.
No.
So we went to the hospital from the immigration office, signed up for the health check, and proceed to go. First we had lunch though. It was the standard Korean fast food, bimbim bap, which is a mix of vegtables, hot sause and rice. It tastes much better than it sounds. At the hospital they drew blood, checked my teeth and eyes, and height and weight, and asked if I had any diseases, and took an X-ray. They also wanted a urine sample, and unfortunately I had just gone to the bathroom, so I couldn't give them one. (they were very nice, and tomorrow morning I have to go in and give them the bodily fluids I withheld today) We also had to get blood pressure and pulse readings. My co-teacher had a bit of high blood pressure, so the nurse kept making him re-take the test. (by the way, they said mine was excellent, but I can't remember what it was) Finally they realized it was just for immigration, and that they didn't have to start treatment, so the let us go. I think that the whole ordeal made the guy even more nervous than he ordinarily is.
Needless to say, we were late getting into the office. Fortunately, we didn't have classes for another hour, so I had time to prepare. Today is a fairly easy day; most of my students are pretty good and are the highest level in our school so far. I quite like them.
The day went fast, but I was very tired. I'm also pretty grateful because the boss re-payed the health check fee the same day, and when he found out I liked dumplings he changed the snack order for me. Kinda cool if you want my opinion.
I will go back to the hospital tomorrow (it is very close to my apartment so it shouldn't be a problem, plus I've been waking up early for a while now.) We go back next week, and then the next day we will go back to immigration.
And so it goes.

2 comments:

janna.zhou said...

i am jane,oh ,my god""""""you are in korea....wow........kimchi...binbinba......have fun and enjoy your life.....keep touch....i miss you and love you ....and...dont worry about me ,now i have a job and learned many stuff everyday......hope you health and happy make many nice friends enjoy every day'''''''

and so it goes said...

Jane, I'm so happy you are learning many stuffs. Where are you?
I really am having fun in Korea, but I miss you. You were my favorite room-mate.