Wednesday, July 9, 2008

What it is like

Left Aunt MG's at 5:45 am. It is a beautiful time of the morning, but I would have rather been in bed and missed it. The country side was foggy and we saw one deer by the side of a corn field. The corn is really getting high, miles and miles of green. At the airport I hug everyone, and go to the gate. This time everything goes smoothly, and I get through security with no problems. Then I arrive in Chicago, rush rush rush, but it is ok, because the people at the gate are good, and I go through security fast. I'm surprised how good it goes. I don't sleep on the plane, so I arrive a bit groggy. The movie sucked, but for some reason I couldn't get comfortable so I just dozed on and off. I'm glad the school booked me on Korean Air. The service was excellent and it made the 14 hour flight bearable.
I arrived a bit early, but there was no one to meet me. I had a bit of a panic attack. Actually I got a latte, and waited half an hour. Then I got nervous. I went to information, and they called my school for me. Well. They couldn't pick me up. So I got a taxi. 50,000 won latter (about $55.00) I arrived at the e-mart. I had forgotten about the kamikaze taxi drivers. He was actually pretty nice and called to make sure someone was there to pick me up. My new boss, was there. I felt a bit put out, and I had thought I would be working with Sunny directly. Then we went to my apartment. They had left me a towel, toothpaste and toilet paper. I revised my negative impression. Plus the apartment although small, is way cute. Too bad they put pink on the bedding, but that can be changed with my first paycheck. They also didn't have a TV or phone. This was Sunday night. I took a quick walk around the neighborhood, and it looks like a good one. There is an e-mart (a big grocery/home goods/electronic store like Walmart only nicer) a dozen places to do computer stuff (they call them PC bangs here) and about all the kinds of food you could want. They even have traditional Thai massage. I will have to ask and see if it is real massage or special massage for business men. I buy some canned coffee and a bottle of orange juice for the morning and go home. I don't unpack.
My apartment window doesn't have a shade. At 6:30 I was up and couldn't get back to sleep. I got some coffee, and unpacked everything, and put it away. I started a list of all the things I'm going to need to be happy, and took another walk around the neighbor hood. This one was a bit longer, and I found more things, mostly shops and restaurants.
I had to go in early Monday. Usually I'm supposed to start at 1, but Monday, I started at 11. The boss bought us lunch, and I had my first kim'chi of the trip. I wasn't bad.
I like my co-workers. Sae-min is experienced, and she is quite friendly. This is Fiona's first teaching job, and she is very nervous. I hope I can help her, I like her. The other foreign teacher is from NY, a fact he mentions quite often, despite the fact his accent is strong enough to leave no doubt.
The first day was a bit hectic, mostly because I didn't know where anything was. Neither did the other teachers. The school opened on Monday, so everyone was a bit stressed, but I eventually found everything I needed, or at least was assured they would arrive soon. It is kind of exciting to open up a school.
Tuesday I found out I have to work until 10, but actually it is a bit easier. On Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays I have 6 classes in a row. Each 50 minutes long. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I only have 5 classes and I have a break in the middle of the schedule. Actually 5 classes is a lot, and 6 is even more, but I'm glad to be busy. I like the curriculum, and I understand most of the rules. They make you turn in a detailed lesson plan, but you only copy from the lesson plan provided, so it is more like paperwork. But I know that many other teachers are lazy, and this way they know you are at least familiar with what you are going to teach.
My students are great. The classes are still very small, sometimes I only have two students in a class and in three classes I only have one student. I know that as the months go by, the school will fill up, but it is kinda nice right now. I know I've only had a few classes with them so far, but they seem bright and willing to work. A few of them are really eager and fun to work with.
Today (Wednesday, my boss brought me a TV, but I don't have a way to turn it on. He has also brought a snack for us every evening. He brings Kimbab, a Korean take on the California roll, and I'm afraid soon I'll be tired of them, but the thought is nice. I will have to ask the manager to help me with my washing machine, because I still haven't figured out how it works. However, I am adapting quite well. At least I think I am.
Tomorrow we go to immigration to get my ARC (Alien Registration Card) Once I have that, I can get a phone line, and see a doctor or dentist. I'll have to wait until payday anyway, but it will be nice to have.
And that is what it is like so far.

No comments: