Friday, July 11, 2008

TGIF revisited

Actually it is Saturday afternoon right now. I am free until Monday. Yeah!
Friday was a pretty good day. I woke up early again, but not as early as Thursday. I took a walk on the riverside, and the rather attractive man I saw yesterday greeted me today. On the walk I noticed the church of "light and salt" and I have to admit to being rather amused at the contrast. I also noticed the police box at the end of the river walk. It has a picture of a cute chipmunk in the police uniform with bodybuilder muscles and some kind of assault rifle. I was rather amused again at the even larger contrast.

On the way home I went to the hospital to donate my bodily fluids and they recognised me right away. I'm glad, because it dawned on me on the way that if they didn't know who I was, I had no way to explain it. I left, bodily fluids lighter, with a spring in my step. Right at the entrance to the apartment I ran into my co-worker, Steve the New Yorker, and we set off to e-mart to do a bit of shopping. It was still closed, so we got some pizza bread (very delicious and still warm from the oven) and waited. In many of the stores the associates bow to the customers that come in at opening, but they didn't bow to us. I got my cleaning supplies and an ironing board, but I couldn't find one that stood up. This one is only about 5 inches off the floor when undone. I think that is just the way they are made here. Everything is so space saving. My co-worker bought a cactus, and let me name her Gertrude.

I went into work a bit early to write some quizzes for my classes, and while I was there the owner of the school asked if I could teach him English. I said yes, of course. So now when I go to Seoul on Sunday I will have to find a very easy book. The man is actually quite nice, from what little I've observed, but he doesn't speak any English at all. The day went by smoothly enough except for the fact that 1/2 my students didn't do their homework. Urg. I told them that next time they would have to face the head teacher. I am so mean.

After work the school's owner took us all out to dinner. The place was supposed to be about 40 minutes away, but even at 8:40pm the traffic was still pretty intense. The ride was fun, and I really enjoyed my Korean co-teachers, but the conversation kept drifting to food, and eating. We were a bit hungry. When we finally arrived it was so worth it. The place was really nice, and we got a room to our selves. It was shasimi, and it was wonderful. Steve, the New Yorker, ate the sea slug, but I passed. After the third course I no longer felt hungry. As much as I love Korean/Japanese food, I was still grateful to see the watermelon because it meant that the meal was over. We continued to sit and drink and play drinking games so we didn't get back to Incheon until 1am, and then continued to drink beer.
Needless to say, I didn't wake up early on Saturday morning. I was still able to get out of bed, get dressed and get back to the school for training on time, so I shouldn't complain. I finally met Sunny, and I liked her as much in person as I did over the phone. The school bought lunch, but I couldn't eat very much. I actually still feel full from the night before. Training was pretty standard, but I managed to learn a few things. I like their website, and the fact that teachers are able to find the e-homework scores for our students very easily.
After training, Steve the New Yorker came by and helped me figure out my washing machine, and my TV, and helped me move some of the furniture around. The apartment is going to be so cool once I replace the unfortunate pink.
Sunday I go to Seoul and meet Kristen, who is homesick.
And so it goes.

No comments: