Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Can't think of a cool title tonight

I am tired.

I had my lesson with my boss yesterday, and I must say it went better than I expected. He can read, but I think he didn't want to try in front of all the other teachers. He did a good job in class, and I think he is going to be a a good student. I used Side by Side, a book I don't really love, but one that is good for a beginner like Mr. Lee. I'm not sure the head teacher likes that I give Mr. Lee lessons, but I see it as a win all around. Plus, the man has been very generous so far. He took us out on Friday to an excellent place, and every evening we have some kind of "snack" that is enough for a meal. One hour a week isn't much on my part.

I think my co-worker Steve the New Yorker can relax a bit now. (actually I don't think he can relax, but that is beside the point) At the hospital for our health check, he found out he had high blood pressure. Surprising in a young guy. Then they called the school because he had high blood sugar. He went on and on about how it was impossible, then when he went in to get the test re-done he said that they only gave him some vitamins and told him to keep an eye on it. We will be seeing him for the rest of the year. I'm sure he will find something new to worry about within that time.

The real reason I'm tired is I worked a bit late, I'm trying to help the head teacher think of some ideas to make the school grow. It just opened so we don't have a lot of students yet. So I am typing up some proposals, and I hope that it helps. I really like my students so far. One is only six years old, but I keep forgetting that. She is very very serious. Then she decides we have worked too hard and starts playing and I'm reminded that she is quite young. One of my students doesn't always get everything. After I explain the instructions, he looks at me like a startled turtle. His homework is awesome though. I think he just needs a bit more time to absorb things than we allow for in class. I have two classes that are the same level, one right after the other. The two classes couldn't be more different. One I have a hard time keeping the volume down, and they like to shout out the answers. The other class is much much more quiet. They look like serious and studious doctors weighing in on some really bad lab mistake. I have to laugh at them, but not in class. One of my classes usually has two students, but today we had a one-on-one class. I really got to talk to him, and I realized he was a very kind hearted and thoughtful kid. We don't always have time for discussion outside the topic at hand, but tonight we did. One of my other students had a very bad day, and I felt so bad for him. He failed the test, and usually he is one of the quicker students. Not today. I told him I would let him re-take the test on Friday. He re-bounded fairly quickly though. I have to say, we make up in quality what we lack in quantity. At least for now.

After work Sae-min and I checked out the two martial arts studios near the school. We are thinking about taking a class together. The more time I spend with her, the more I like spending time with her. The first studio is for JuJitsu. I quite liked the young man who is teaching there. He is a bit young to be a martial arts master, but he had a good sense of humor and I thought the studio looked nice. It was very very clean. Always a good sign. The other studio was for Hapkido. The teacher looked a bit like an elf. He had the long face and pointed ears that elves in serious fantasy usually have. The class had more students, but most of them were in high school. Plus we would always be 10 minutes late, and I'm not sure I want that. Sae-min and I agreed that we liked the first class a bit better, but we both wanted to think on it and discuss it some more. I won't be able to start until mid August anyway so we have time.

After checking out the studios I got photos taken, and tomorrow I go to immigration again. I hope we have everything we need this time. We have to meet early, and I hope it isn't crowded and we can get through everything quickly.
And so it goes.

1 comment:

Magician said...

Christine, I'm suprised that you can be such a steady blogger and
hardworking teacher at the same time!^^ Jiu-jitsu is on my list now, though I can start it in winter, because I have to take French certificate first in 2008.